Chief Estimator - Civil Construction
EBC thinks outside the box and deploys all its know-how to carry out major infrastructure projects: bridges, roads, highways, tunnels, marine installations. Our ability to meet deadlines and budgets as well as our vast expertise in the field allows us to actively participate in large-scale projects such as the Samuel-De-Champlain Bridge, the Réseau Express Métropolitain (REM), and the Site C hydro-electric power station located near Fort St.John in British Columbia.
Our seasoned team of engineers, project managers, and other specialists also put their energy into the construction of wind farms and to the benefit of hydroelectric projects such as dams, power stations, tunnels, and dykes. EBC is positioned as a true leader in this sector. Our range of specialized services has made our reputation in Canada.
Reporting to the Vice President of Bids and Proposals, the Chief Estimator is fully responsible for leading a group of estimators. They are responsible for making estimates for proposals, bids, and projects in progress (when requested by operations). Furthermore, they are responsible for ensuring that the estimators in their group complete the bids they are working on by the date required for management review.
Work Responsibilities and Duties:
- Supervise estimators
- Implement , revise, and update data banks
- Manage bid priorities by considering the division's strategic direction
- Establish the bidding schedule
- Assess workload
- Identify the risks and constraints of the call for tenders
- Define the subcontracting strategy
- Confirm costs related to quantities prepared by estimators
- Lead the file transfer meeting to operations when the contract is obtained
- Prepare the bid review
- Establish lasting contacts with subcontractors and suppliers
- Participate in meetings for the start-up of service offers and follow-up executive meetings
- Liaise, communicate, and meet deadlines among stakeholders
- Ensure the quality of bids
- Ensure compliance with ISO processes
- Participate in the closing of bids
- Be aware of upcoming projects to plan the workload
Human Capital Management
- Interest and ability to mentor and coach others
- Actively participate in the career development of team staff by providing training and setting development goals.
- Ability to identify, attract, retain, and utilize top talent.
- Mentor and develop staff and the next generation in project management
- Focus our strengths on our strategic objectives
- Ensure the follow-up of actions targeted at the strategic level
- Engage and inspire employees
- Support the company culture that is aligned with the company's values
- Support, adhere to and communicate company decisions in a committed manner
- Engage in the development of your team and see to succession planning
- Be involved in self-development to maintain or increase organizational capacity and deliver expected results
- Effectively understand and communicate the company's vision and strategy to engage and align the workforce, team members and project partners towards achieving and exceeding desired outcomes
Measures of job expectations:
- Produce estimates allowing us to win projects to meet annual budget objectives of revenues and profit margins of the division
- Be an ambassador of the company's values
- Increased rigor of bid processes to focus on optimization and better teamwork
- Develop and attract talented employees to ensure the growth of the company
- Achieve assigned annual strategic initiatives for sustained growth
- Hold a bachelor's degree in civil or construction engineering and/or a combination of equivalent experience & training.
- Be a member of the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC.
- Have a minimum of 15 years of relevant experience in estimating major projects and/or urban works.
- Strong communication skills.
- Have relevant experience in carrying out large-scale projects of more than $30 million.
Skills And Attitudes Required
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and leadership.
- Have an interest and ability to mentor and coach others.
- Ability to manage more than one project at a time.
- Sense of priorities.
- Proficiency in MS Office, MS Project and TPL or other estimation software (a great asset).
- Good organizational skills and work methods.
- Be analytical, adaptable, and open-minded.
- Be organized, structured and rigorous.
- 5 weeks of annual vacation;
- Competitive salary and advantageous bonus plan;
- Complete group insurance program upon entry (health and dental components paid by the employer);
- Group RRSP with employer contribution to a Deferred Profit Sharing Plan (DPSP);
- 24 hour access to a virtual doctor (telemedicine);
- Training and development programs;
- Employee assistance program;
- Active social club and health and wellness committee;
- Diverse, innovative and stimulating environment;
- A company built on values of respect, integrity and a job well done;
- Firm recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies.