Director, Automation, Integration & System Protection
Ulteig is excited to announce that we are seeking qualified candidates for a Director – Automation, Integration, and System Protection (AISP) position within our Enterprise Operational Services business unit. This position will focus on leadership of managers and engineering/technical teams predominantly focused on the design, configuration, programming, and automation of supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) including Networking and metering,and system protection for critical infrastructure. AISP teams operate across our four Lifeline Sectors - Power, Renewables, Water, and Transportation. The AISP department consists of professionals from multiple disciplines (electrical, system and network integration engineers, technicians, designers and Project Management).
This position will have responsibility for strategic growth, operational management, and performance to Annual Operating Plan (AOP), and is accountable for the project execution of the teams within the department. The AISP Director is also a member of the Extended Management Team (EMT), a subset of the Ulteig Leadership Team (ULT), and collaborates with the Chief Executive Office (CXO, or senior leadership team) to ensure organizational alignment and clarity, as well as the overall execution of the company’s short and long-term strategies, business plans, and strategic objectives. This leadership role will support business, client, and proposal development initiatives as needed and in partnership with our four Lifeline Sectors (Power, Renewable, Water and Transportation), Sales Operations, Business Operations and will also partner closely with other functional areas such as Finance & Accounting, and Human Resources and Innovation & Technology.
What You'll Do
Business Performance Responsibilities
- Execute the Annual Operating Plan (AOP)
- Drive operational performance and results across the department and support performance of other departments
- Provide quality delivery of our services, products, and solutions and ensure satisfaction of our clients
- Accountable for managers’ oversight of engineering and technical activities during the proposal, design, quality control check, and construction stages of projects that are assigned to the department
- Provides guidance to department for collaboration with subconsultants and strategic partners
- Provides leadership-level project and client support as needed and in partnership with team and our market leaders
- Oversees and approves team-level budgets (AOP), including but not limited to revenue, profitability, and indirect expenses
- Regularly evaluates capacity and skillsets to direct growth in workforce planning, supports strong cross-team/department/business unit and cross-location resourcing collaboration, conducts performance reviews, evaluates individual annual merit and incentive decisions, and ensures that training and professional development opportunities are available to team members
- Supports companywide hiring efforts, including regular evaluation of candidate resumes, phone screens, collaboration with HR partners, and regular interviews and debrief discussions
- Participates and partners with market leaders as needed and professionals throughout the organization to promote revenue growth, cost management, and expansion of services with existing and prospective clients
- Supports proposal efforts by developing, providing resources, and reviewing proposals, contracts, work orders, and other agreements as needed and required by Proposal Development and Project Management teams
- Maintains and builds positive client relationships
People Leadership Responsibilities
- Ensure that the right people with the right skills are in the right place at the right time
- Establish a safe and inclusive workplace for all employees
- Provide ongoing support and guidance for professional growth and development
- Ensure key communications are shared and supported teams and stakeholders
- Maintain and fosters positive team culture and ensure employee engagement.
- Provides strategic direction, leadership, and technical oversight for employees on achieving individual, team, department, and organizational performance goals.
- Coaches, trains, and develops management staff for growth and development opportunities. Responsible for regular management meetings, one-on-one meetings with direct reports, career development discussions, talent review and succession planning, quarterly reviews, individual promotions, retention, and employee engagement survey results.
Business Process Responsibilities
- Develop and implement operating policies, tools, resources, and processes that enable our employees to be successful
- Drive an environment where innovation and continuous improvement are recognized and rewarded
- Work collaboratively with Project Management Center of Excellence to ensure consistent tools and processes are developed and utilized for successful project execution
- Work collaboratively with Finance & Accounting and Procurement to ensure established business processes and tools meet the needs of the business to successfully manage, track and report on projects with equipment and equipment inventory.
What We Expect From You
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering required from ABET accredited school or equivalent
- 12+ years of experience in the Engineering field preferred
- PE registration is preferred
- 5 years of prior management experience leading teams required
- Prior engineering/technical experience in a relevant discipline required
- Strong technical capability and client/partner relationship-building experience required
- Travel expectations are minimum of 25% of time
- Hands-on experience in developing and managing operating budgets preferred
- Must be analytical, self-motivated, and possess the ability to work in high-pressure situations while maintaining a positive, enthusiastic, and collaborative attitude
- Focused and passionate around internal engagement and maximizing professional development of others
- Strong business acumen and industry knowledge
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, management, public and external agencies
- High level of initiative and demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities with clear expectations and highly responsive to internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent presentation and verbal/written communications skills
- Displays a high level of initiative and explores new opportunities while understanding the risk to the organization
- Proven experience in Microsoft Software Applications (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Access) and additional software knowledge depending on specialty.
- Must have valid driver’s license
- Must have authorization to work permanently in the US
As you consider applying for a position at Ulteig, we encourage you to think outside the box – because we do! You might not meet 100% of the skills listed in a description, but we are committed to hiring people with exceptional talent, ability and potential, and then creating an environment where they can become the best versions of themselves. We don’t want to miss out on the possibility of speaking with the next outstanding Ulteig team member, so please apply if you think this role is a great match for your unique skills and strengths. And, yes, relevant military experience is absolutely considered for transitioning service members.
What You Can Expect From Ulteig
Ulteig is a purpose driven organization that has built a culture focused on people – both our clients and our employees for over 75 years. Working at Ulteig is more than a job, it means you will have the opportunity to make a difference by creating and solving for a sustainable future. We realize that a huge part of our success has relied heavily on the dedication and focus of our workforce; this is why we make investing in our employees a top priority. Being 100% employee-owned means, we take our own success and the success of our clients personally.
We offer our team members:
- Flexible Workplace
- Employee Ownership
- Competitive Pay
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Collaborative Environment
- Innovative Culture
Our vision is to be the most trusted partners transforming our world’s critical infrastructure. Ulteig connects people and resources to develop compelling, integrated solutions across multiple Lifeline Sectors®, including power, renewables, transportation and water. Ulteig's footprint spans the country and leverages its expertise with a wide range of public and private clients.
At Ulteig, we deeply care and listen to the needs of our team to ensure they are comfortable and have the necessary tools to be productive whether they choose to work remotely, hybrid or in office. We strive to allow a balance and separation between home and work life and provide support and a flexible working schedule so that employees are able to focus on what's important to them. Our offices are currently open, and employees have the option of accessing them to work. We will continue to monitor and respond to COVID-19 proactively to ensure the safety of our valued employees.
If you would like to be a part of a company that empowers their employees, apply today!
Ulteig is a Drug Free Workplace
ACHIEVE | GROW | COLLABORATE
Notice to Recruiters and Staffing Agencies: to protect the interests of all parties, Ulteig Engineers, Inc., will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate or an approved vendor that has a written and signed agreement in place with Ulteig. Please do not contact or forward resumes to our company employees or locations. Any unsolicited resumes will be considered Ulteig property. Ulteig is not responsible for any charges or fees related to unsolicited resumes.