Director, Business Development and Strategy - Transmission and Distribution
WSP Canada is currently seeking a Director of Business Development and Strategy for Transmission and Distribution in Western Canada with a focus on managing Clients and Markets. WSP is a leader in the delivery of clean energy and Power sector solutions to meet the increasing demand for safe, secure, and sustainable energy for Canadians which requires a substantial expansion of the electricity transmission network. In this leadership role, you will help bring WSP’s vast expertise, experience, and innovation to support our clients, utilities, and communities in the transformation to a new energy future.
Reporting to the National Senior Director, Transmission and Distribution,, you will be accountable to supporting the growth of our business and strengthening our market position. You will also play a key role in creating go-to-market strategies, executing those strategies in collaboration with the market development and strategy, operations and project delivery leaders, and coordinating efforts between the proposal and business development teams. Your proven track record and experience in client relationship management, account management, and market development will be key to success in this role.
We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A DAY IN THE LIFE:
- Conduct client and market research and develop go-to-market strategies and targeted account plans that optimize win success and use of cross-team resources to exceed regional and corporate budget targets.
- Oversee the development and implementation of account plans for existing and new clients.
- Prepare detailed reports and presentations on business development activities.
- Monitor and track the opportunity pipeline, including the development and implementation of plans to secure high value work for the Energy team.
- Mentor and support key client account managers, to maintain and strengthen relationships with key clients to drive high client satisfaction and account growth.
- Work closely with market leaders for growth areas.
- Foster strong relationships with other WSP business lines, to build and increase collaborative sales.
- Build strong relationships with clients and lead the effort in client presentations and meetings.
- Assist in the development of proposals, ensuring alignment of the proposal with client expectations.
- Sponsor and plan networking events, conference, and client outreach activities to communicate WSP’s value proposition and portfolio of capabilities to the Power sector.
- Sponsor market eminence activities and thought leadership to strengthen WSP’s brand in the energy sector.
- Work closely with the VP Power and SVP Strategy and Market Development for Energy, Resources and Industry (ERI) to ensure an integrated approach to market development planning & execution across Western Canada.
- Perform other duties as assigned / required.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING TO WSP:
- 10+ years of key account management, market development, and business development in the Power sector, preferably Transmission and Distribution.
- Strong understanding of the energy sector, including industry trends and emerging technologies related to the energy transformation and decarbonization.
- Proven track record of managing an opportunity forecast / funnel resulting in exceeding sales targets.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills; ability to collaborate and guide others.
- Experience with design and implementation of market development strategies and plans.
- Ability to learn and effectively communicate, understand, and express WSP’s value proposition.
- Ability to present information to audiences in a variety of settings.
- Ability to negotiate and close agreements with clients.
- Strong financial and business acumen.
- English language proficiency is essential, and bilingual language capability an asset.
- Proficiency in CRM platforms, or other business development programs is an asset.
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 65,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe it is expected that you comply with our Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) policy at all times as well as client HSE policies when working at client locations.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.