Director of Design And Construction
Elexicon Energy is the fourth largest municipally owned local hydro utility in Ontario servicing over 177,000 residential and business customers across the eastern part of the Greater Toronto Area including Pickering, Whitby, Ajax, Clarington, Belleville, Gravenhurst, Uxbridge, Port Hope, Scugog and Brock. We are the fastest growing public electric utility in the province, in an electrifying industry that is shaping the discourse across multiple sectors as Canada drives towards its commitment to achieving net-zero emissions by 2050.
Reporting to and supporting the Vice President – Distribution Operations and Asset Management. As Director, the incumbent will deliver business unit’s goals, objectives, and strategies by providing effective leadership and direction to staff in the Distribution Operations Department.
The incumbent will demonstrate our beliefs and behaviors aligned to the Company’s Why, Way, and How. As a member of the Management Team, we consistently demonstrate our culture of Live it and Lead it.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
We are seeking a highly qualified and experienced Director of Design & Construction within the Distribution Operations Department to lead our design and construction teams in ensuring the efficient and safe delivery of our capital and maintenance programs across our service territory. The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of design and construction activities while prioritizing the health and safety of crews. Experience in the utility sector, along with a Professional Engineer (P. Eng) and Project Management Professional (PMP) certifications, will be valuable assets in this role.
- Builds a service-oriented, safety culture within the organization, focusing on trust, customer satisfaction, flexibility, responsiveness, speed, quality, and competitiveness.
- Ensure strict adherence to safety protocols and regulations, promoting a safety-first culture within the department.
- Provide leadership to the design and construction teams across Elexicon Energy’s work centers, driving and nurturing a culture of safety, accountability, and excellence.
- Develop and lead high-performing teams, which consists of manager, supervisors, technical, and trades staff, including apprentices and students.
- Oversee the delivery of design, and construction of capital/maintenance projects, ensuring on time and on-budget delivery.
- Lead the development and execution of project plans, schedules, and budgets.
- Monitor project progress and address any issues or delays promptly.
- Manage the department's budget effectively, optimizing resource allocation to meet project demands.
- Develops Key Performance Indicators (KPI), strategies and policies and monitors the continuous improvement of the team.
- Promote individual job performance and accountability to inspire higher levels of performance excellence and raise the bar on acceptable levels of performance.
- Establishes a two-way working relationship with all levels within the Department to solicit their views on conditions and potential changes affecting their work, and continuous improvement opportunities.
- Oversees proposal activities related to a variety of work functions ensuring Company interests and guidelines are maintained.
- Other responsibilities, as needed.
KEY SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Excellent knowledge of electrical power basics and relevant Codes/Standards
- Knowledgeable in OEB maintenance requirements
- Proficient in other Microsoft Office Applications (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, etc.) and Computer Assisted Design (CAD) systems.
- Ability to read technical drawings.
- Knowledge of GIS systems
- Knowledge of utility related construction practices
- Knowledge of Ontario Regulation 22/04
- Project Management skills
- Excellent communication skills with a strong commitment to providing customer service.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License.
- Working knowledge of System analysis tools (e.g., CYME, DESS etc.) would be considered an asset.
Please note: Elexicon’s Vaccination Policy requires confirmation of full vaccination status as a condition of employment.
Interested and qualified applicants are encouraged to visit our Elexicon Energy Career page and apply through the portal at https://elexiconenergy.com/careers.
We thank you for taking the time to apply with Elexicon Energy. Successful candidate who meets the qualifications and experience for the position will be contacted for an interview. Please note that accommodations can be provided upon request via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging:
Elexicon Energy embraces and celebrates our collective diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and equitable workplace built on respect, support and collaboration.
Elexicon Energy is an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive and supportive workplace which truly reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We welcome all individuals to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, Indigenous/Métis status, or other legally protected status.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation is available upon request at any point during the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please email us at HR@elexiconenergy.com and we will work to meet your needs.
We thank all applicants; however, only those to be considered will be contacted.