The future you want is within reach.
At PCL, we build the places where life happens and find camaraderie in the process. We're a community of builders committed to building better communities. That's why we're always looking ahead, and not just to the next project or what's next in our industry.
We're also looking at what's next for you and how we can help you build a career you're proud of. By joining our Estimating team, you will lead large estimates that change the landscape of a community while mentoring and developing junior estimators.
Here's how a(n) Senior Estimator for our Edmonton Buildings office contributes to our team:
- Conducts a detailed analysis of the contract documents and specifications, to determine overall project requirements and identifies any associated risk factors, including the monitoring of published addendums that may alter the original scope of the project.
- In conjunction with Chief Estimator, establishes team assignments and identifies estimating review dates.
- Completes final cost estimate of a project through the use of PCL in-house software system, incorporating all labour, equipment, and material data, pricing documentation, overhead and profit margins, and produces a final tender submission for review and approval from the District Management.
- Takes the lead in the development of conceptual estimates and conventional bid submissions with or without complete drawings and specifications.
- Acts as a liaison with external consultants and project management organizations to estimate project budget requirements and coordinates tender development process on behalf of clients.
- In conjunction with the Chief Estimator, reviews special proposal requirements and makes recommendations.
- Solicits pricing from subcontractors and suppliers for labour, equipment and materials, in order to ascertain the lowest price while meeting PCL’s safety and quality standards.
- In conjunction with the Chief Estimator, completes a final bid submission review and oversees the final tender document submission to the client on behalf of PCL.
- Analyzes and determines productivities.
- Organizes bid closing assignments to meet submission deadlines on closing day.
- Participates in PCL’s mentoring program and act as a mentor for junior employees.
- Undergraduate degree in engineering or post-secondary diploma in a construction related discipline or quantity surveying.
- Minimum 12+ years of estimating experience in the construction industry. Preference will be given to those who have previous estimating experience with a large general contractor.
- General civil and commercial construction knowledge; understanding of plans, specifications, methods and procedures.
- Extensive knowledge of key principles involved in bid preparation, including quantity take off procedures, sub-trade procurement, pricing and bid closing procedures.
- Experience with the Design Build process.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects at one time as required.
- Ability to identify competitors and understands current market conditions.
- Ability to recognize risks and opportunities to a project and analyze them, determine the associated costs, impact to schedule and create a mitigation plan.
- Past experience in the supervision of junior and intermediate level employees.
- Ability to use industry relationships with our trade partners to create a competitive advantage.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Gold seal certification considered an asset.
PCL combines numerous pay and benefit strategies to provide comprehensive and competitive compensation packages, the focus of which is to reward personal performance, merit and effort. PCL combines flexible benefits with case compensation to provide total compensation to PCL employees. The total package includes an annual performance bonus, annual salary adjustment, share ownership, pension contribution matching, health care coverage, flexible spending programs and relocation assistance (if applicable).
The salary range for this position is $115,000 to $145,000 based on experience and qualifications.
PCL is an innovative, employee-owned company comprised of people who find passion in their profession and take pride in doing great work every day. Our work powers the infrastructure and utilities that are essential to daily life and our projects are the scene of vacations, careers, education and healing. We are consistently ranked among the best companies to work for because we are committed to supporting and developing our teams.
The PCL Companies celebrate diversity and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating equitable opportunities and an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We make employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability or veteran status.
Should you require an accommodation during the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the position and location you are interested in.
Together, we can build success and a better future. Let’s get started!
PCL Construction Management Inc.
5400 99th Street NW
North American Headquarters
9915 56 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta, T6E 5L7
Employee Status: Regular Full-Time
Company: PCL Construction Management Inc.
Primary Location: Edmonton, Alberta (Buildings)
Job: Senior Estimator