Vice President, Construction
Who We Are
After four decades of home building excellence, Cachet has earned a reputation as an award-winning developer and builder of master-planned communities across Southern Ontario. From the very beginning, our principles have been guided by a distinctive vision of how new homes should be crafted; a vision that combines innovative architecture, superior craftsmanship, exceptional quality features and finishes, and outstanding customer care. Since 1981, Cachet has developed and built thousands of new homes—and we remain committed to enriching the lives of families by building visionary communities they will be proud to call home.
What We Offer
Cachet is on a mission to be the most innovative community builder in Ontario. Joining our rapidly growing organization will give you the opportunity to work alongside us as we create the next generation of modern, complete communities throughout the Greater Golden Horseshoe.
The environment at Cachet is dynamic, engaging, rewarding, and team oriented. We strive to ensure Cachet is a great place to work for all our team members and are committed to building a best-in-class, values-driven organization that positively impacts the lives of our employees, customers, communities, and environment.
Reporting to the President, the VP Construction will lead, develop, inspire, and manage all aspects of Construction in order to achieve business objectives, maximize operating results, meet homeowner commitments, and deliver high quality homes on time and within budget. This role is part of the Executive Leadership Team and will contribute to leading the organization both at a strategic and operational level. The ideal candidate has 15+ years of progressive experience in residential construction management with expert knowledge and understanding of residential homebuilding disciplines and proven leadership skills. This role will be based out of the head office in Mississauga but will be a hybrid role between the various construction sites/communities and the office.
- Oversee the team within a dynamic, high-volume production environment to ensure the timely and budget-conscious delivery of homes and services adhering to Cachet quality standards.
- Form and guide a group of construction professionals
- Provide expert guidance, unwavering support, and valuable mentorship to nurture the development of the team.
- Anticipate staffing requirements, management, talent recognition and development, recruitment, and coaching.
- Proactively communicate and cooperate with all departments.
- Cultivate a culture of development and inspiration, fostering teamwork and nurturing constructive relationships.
- Establish and oversee key performance indicators (KPIs) and metrics, enabling the measurement of the Construction and New Home Service team's contributions and performance impact.
Strategic Planning Decision Making:
- Accountable for making high-level strategic decisions that profoundly impact the overall trajectory of the construction dept and contribute to the organization's success.
- Establish long-term goals, delineate departmental strategic priorities, and identify growth opportunities
- Employ data-driven analysis, comprehension of market trends, and an assessment of internal capabilities to craft well-informed decisions
- Play a key role in collaborating with the Senior executive team to develop, communicate, and maintain a comprehensive 5-year business plan and order book.
- Work closely with the VP of Sales and Marketing to develop and execute effective and well-thought-out sales release strategies.
- Oversee the management of closing date changes, keeping stakeholders informed and ensuring compliance with Tarion guidelines.
- Proactively oversee all financial aspects of Construction and New Home Service Operations, encompassing budgeting, forecasting, and reporting.
- Ongoing assessment of how Construction and New Home Service Operations impact the attainment of overall business objectives and targets.
- Analyze financial data associated with construction projects and employ data-driven insights
- Ensure the judicious allocation of resources, including labour, materials, and equipment
- Formulate strategic resource allocation decisions aimed at maximizing both productivity and cost-effectiveness.
- Diligently monitor and manage the cash flow of projects to ensure alignment with budgetary and forecasted parameters.
- Strategically develop, implement, and communicate value-centric construction techniques, production protocols, and workflow processes to enhance cycle time, operational efficiency, and overall quality.
- Exercise vigilant oversight of all construction activities
- Assume responsibility for the comprehensive management of all construction projects
- Lead the development and execution of detailed project schedules, budgets, and timelines
- Provide leadership in overseeing all aspects of the warranty program
Stakeholder, Vendor and Subcontractor Relations:
- Foster and nurture positive and enduring relationships with stakeholders.
- Sustain continuous positive associations with vendors, trade partners, industry associations, regulatory bodies, municipal authorities, and more.
- Act as an advocate on behalf of stakeholders within the organization's decision-making processes.
- Hold responsibility for defining and disseminating quality standards and expectations throughout the organization
- Develop and communicate the organization's quality policy
- Accountability for the oversight of audits and inspections directed at products, processes, and services.
- Establish KPIs and metrics to evaluate and continuously monitor the quality of products, services, and processes and provide leadership with reports on quality performance.
Safety and Compliance and ESG:
- Responsible for leading construction projects that meets all health and safety requirements.
- Accountable for the implementation and rigorous enforcement of safety protocols across construction sites.
- Ensure the organization's strict compliance to all legal and regulatory standards.
- Develop and implement sustainability initiatives and strategies for construction projects
- Uphold consistent and transparent communication channels with project stakeholders
- Provide frequent project updates and reports to senior leadership
- Exemplify comfort and competence in public speaking, serving as a representative of Cachet at industry events, association meetings, Town Hall gatherings, and similar forums, effectively conveying the organization's values and vision.
- Oversee and effectively manage risk within the organization, safeguarding its long-term sustainability, preserving its reputation, and advancing strategic objectives.
- Formulate a risk management strategy harmonized with the organization's overarching strategic goals, enabling a structured approach to risk mitigation.
- Identify potential risks intertwined with construction projects and craft strategies for risk mitigation
- Cultivate and nurture a culture deeply committed to prioritizing customer needs and satisfaction, placing the homeowner at the heart of all endeavours.
- Lead by example, setting the standard for employees to dedicate themselves to delivering exceptional customer experiences.
- Articulate and communicate a clear vision for an extraordinary customer experience
- Define KPI’s specific to customer experience and systematically track progress
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement, serving as a role model for curiosity, openness to learning, and adaptability to change. Encourage and support others in adapting to change while keeping a keen eye on future opportunities.
- Spearhead the implementation of process improvements and innovative solutions
What You Bring
- 15+ years of progressive experience in residential construction management with expert knowledge and understanding of residential homebuilding disciplines
- Strong business acumen with extensive experience in all facets of financial management of construction operations and at an enterprise level
- Driven to continuously learn and improve, strong entrepreneurial instincts, business acumen and bottom-line orientation.
- Proven leadership and people management skills, including ability to train, mentor, and motivate staff through advanced leadership skills with the ability to delegate as required
- Diploma or degree in either engineering, planning or in a related field, or a combination of directly related education and experience.
- Extensive knowledge of Ontario Building Code, Health & Safety Act and other H&S regulations
- Ability to optimize construction processes and best practices
- Understanding of Sales, Marketing, and Land Development is preferred
- Well-developed project management skills
- Strong influencing and negotiation capabilities.
- Excellent customer focus and customer service skills
- Willing to take responsibility and be held accountable for results
- Skills in building relationships with a broad network of contacts through the industry
- Highly developed organizational skills and time-management ability including the tracking and control of costs and budgets.
- Demonstrated agility and adaptability to changing environment and marketplace. Ability to see around corners and anticipate upcoming challenges
- Must have strong work ethic with ability to work flexible schedule
Cachet Homes is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on age, race, religion, gender, origin, disability, or any other status protected under Canadian law or ordinances. Equal access to programs, services, and employment is available to all people.
Qualified applicants will be contacted directly by a member of the Cachet team.